Combat is awful and I want to cheat, how?

For discussions about the release version of the game.
Aszhalinde

Combat is awful and I want to cheat, how?

Post by Aszhalinde »

I was so thrilled to find that this game existed, being a huge starflight fan, and then so disappointed that space combat was so utterly unforgiving and above all, BORING. I have no desire to play perfectly for 10 minutes until I finally get enough shots in that one ship dies. I had to farm for hours and hours to get maxed out components and the combat is still way too difficult.

All I want is to experience the story. So my question is, how do I cheat? I heard there was a credit cheat but I can't find what it is, and I saw a previous post by Steve saying you could edit globals.lua to change the values on weapons and such, but when I open it in notepad it's a bunch of gibberish. I'm not sure what's wrong since I've always been able to open other lua files and edit the code in them fine. Is it now encrypted in the release version or something? If so, how do I get into globals.lua to edit the values?
Steve
Site Admin

Re: Combat is awful and I want to cheat, how?

Post by Steve »

Here is the unencoded globals file - simply tweak what you want and replace the existing one. Keep in mind that player ships and NPC ships have the exact same equipment, so you may inadvertently modify enemy ships as well. I personally recommend greatly reducing the range of missiles and lasers and then boosting their power tremendously.
Attachments
globals.lua
(5.83 KiB) Downloaded 965 times
Steve
Site Admin

Re: Combat is awful and I want to cheat, how?

Post by Steve »

...To follow up on this, if anyone wants to tweak these settings in order to make the game more playable, I'll consider adding your tweaks to a new patched version of the game. I simply don't have the time to try things out myself and then test them.

I've enabled .lua attachments on the forum if anyone wants to post mod'd files.