Some questions

For discussions about the release version of the game.
TheRedHerring

Some questions

Post by TheRedHerring »

There is no planet colonization recommendations?

The planets have no Mineral data when scanning so you can't look for certian things. Was this left out on purpose?
Steve
Site Admin

Re: Some questions

Post by Steve »

The game engine is highly developed in some places, not so developed in others. I did implement one planetary colonization quest, but as there is no notices/evaluation center in starport nor any log planet functionality, nor any active programmers working on the code, it probably will not be implemented anytime soon.

The game is open source so any motivated programmer willing to wade into the code can add new features at any time.

Each planet type has a list of possible mineral deposits that will appear and each mineral is placed on a case-by-case basis. In other words, all molten planets will have the same types of minerals, all oceanic planets will have their own types of minerals, etc. The earlier games defined the predominant types of minerals for each individual planet. Since the programmers did not implement this per planet but instead implemented it per mineral deposit, there's not really any data for the came to give you on sensor scans.

To answer a common question, I am one of the original developers but my expertise is in the game design, the Lua scripting, quests, plot, dialogue, combat balancing. I did not work on the game engine other than initial design, internal quality testing, etc.

- Steve
TheRedHerring

Post by TheRedHerring »

What would I need f learn to code for this game?
Steve
Site Admin

Post by Steve »

There are several ways I can think to answer this question. This project was developed using Visual C++ 2008/2010 with scripting in LUA and several allegro graphic libraries.

From what I understand, professionals are still using C++ a majority of the time in order to have the power to optimize their code at a lower level than other languages out there.

Objective-C is required for the iPhone/iPad platform.

The easiest ways to get into programming something quickly is to learn a high-level platform that provides a ton of support such as Unity3D for PC games, the new android studio 1.0, or the new AGK which handles multiple platforms simultaneously.
Migromul

Post by Migromul »

Is there any way to re-read a message (found in a ruin, for example). In the original game(s) these messages were recorded in the cargo. But my cargo show no messages.

If I re-visit the ruin, I can't study it again... (And I didn't memorize the exact coordinates and planets of the pirate-hunt-mission for the military-profession, because of the fact, that I could re-read any message in the original game(s).

And: I think you can easily hide spoilers by choosing the font-color "white" (or light-blue. but white works too, imho. (just a hint, so there is no need to privat-message...)

for example: this is the hidden message (just mark this line.)

Hmpf, okay I'm kind of a fool... of course you can re-read the message in a ruin. Just land... (e.g. exit the ship...) But except of that, it would be easier, if you could record ruin-messages...

edit: okay, I didn't read this Thread before (just the title) but after I read the posts, I think, exactly THIS title fits, even if my questions are game- and not program-related. (I hope my english is good enough to understand, what I mean...)